©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Military Press

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Bfit247

May 21, 2013
Which one do you prefer? Smith machine or Free weight?
Do you use legs to assist?

I love going to the gym and shoulder pressing more then ppl bench! Lol

I use Free weight. I use the smith machine to get my mind and body use to the heavy weight!

Smith machine military press 225 x6
Free weight military press 225 x2

Free weight is beast.

LuKiFeR

AnaSCI VET
Oct 13, 2012
i agree...free weight is great. haha

but i have horrible shoulders n its painfull with free weights.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Previous shoulder injuries make free weight pressing a bitch. I can do them, but need to go in a higher rep range. I don't have to worry about stability as much in the smith and is my preferred shoulder press.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I have a love hate relationship with Military Press-

I like to use a cambered bar for heavy heavy free weights that way my hands are not behind or in front of my head.

On the smith I go a lil heavier and put the seat at a very very slight incline and just blast them. I feel the slight recline put a lot less stress on my shoulders.

Free - 225x3
Smith- 225x8 on my best day
DB military- 105x4

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369429058.099857.jpg

This is what I like to use for heavy military press, allows me to be in a neutral position with my hands by letting my head glide through the relief in the bar

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I love standing military. I like to go very heavy and very strict, squeezing your lats and using them as a shelf. I have recently started alternating them with John Meadows rack presses. Nice twist on traditional military and are killer on the shoulders.

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
Nothing quite builds mass like the standing military. It is however an absolute mother fucker on your rotator cuff...

I like to go heavy for 6 strict reps and then finish off with some leg drive for a few more.

Or heavy push presses for reps of 5 are great to get past training plateaus.

Always always always work your rotator cuff though too. Also my new rule of thumb is to do twice as much pulling volume as pushing. Love face pulls. Great compliment to military presses.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Couldn't agree with you more. Face pulls and heavy swings are staples of mine and are a huge contributer to my over all joint health. If your going to go heavy on shoulders, muscle balance is a must.

Nothing quite builds mass like the standing military. It is however an absolute mother fucker on your rotator cuff...

I like to go heavy for 6 strict reps and then finish off with some leg drive for a few more.

Or heavy push presses for reps of 5 are great to get past training plateaus.

Always always always work your rotator cuff though too. Also my new rule of thumb is to do twice as much pulling volume as pushing. Love face pulls. Great compliment to military presses.

Bfit247

May 21, 2013
I have a love hate relationship with Military Press-

I like to use a cambered bar for heavy heavy free weights that way my hands are not behind or in front of my head.

On the smith I go a lil heavier and put the seat at a very very slight incline and just blast them. I feel the slight recline put a lot less stress on my shoulders.

Free - 225x3
Smith- 225x8 on my best day
DB military- 105x4

The one upper lol jk
Im just starting to get my strength back in my shoulders!
My delts grow very easy. I wish everything else was the same lol.

But military press makes me feel strong and powerful!

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Standing free weights legs not even to add stress on lower back. And rack presses are bad ass along with face pulls thanks to u guys here getting this old man on those. Makes my shoulders feel so much more balance.

Nothing worse than a smith machine with zero maintainance such as one at my gym. Let bar go and it stops or u gotta pull it down. Aaarg!

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Due to my previous shoulder injuries, I can't do any type of barbell military press with any kind of weight. I do a one arm standing dumbbell press (one arm at a time), somewhere around 55-70lb dumbells for 3 sets of 10 or so, depending on how I feel. No shoulder pain at all from them.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Both my shoulders have lots of wear and tear in the joint so I use the smith machine these days. It helps a lot with my shoulder stability (which mine is pretty much in the gutter at this point with anything heavy). I used to love free weights though and I do think free weights will activate those stabilizer muscles more

Last edited:

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
I have to use free weights (although it can be a bitch getting the weights into position),because the movement on the machine is very unnatural to me and painful in the joints.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Best keep as military. PBN for years will really wear on ac joints.
I did prefer bb presses for years .Now a smith (properly maintained toggle boy)
allows a bit more feel without being distracted with stabalizing the bar.
Best done at the end of a delt session when much lighter poundages can be really effective.Don't know why i thought I needed to pbn with big poundage
back in the day. I am certainly paying the piper for the ego of my youth today.. T