©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2025



neck question

thc

New member
Feb 2, 2012
17
0
0
I'm working my neck by by laying on a bench and taking weights and placing them on my forehead and going up and down. My
question is how many reps should I do?
 
You going to be working your neck flexors with that exercise.If you really want to hypertrophy the neck, I would go with compound exercises like the deadlift and squat. These will hypertrophy the neck more than any isolation exercise.
 
A neck machine would be a better option . In my experiences, the single-joint exercise that got my neck the thickest was shrugs.
 
I know what you say man, anyway I did the exercise I gave at 6-7 reps and I gained 1/2in. but I never gained any inches more. And shrugs don't seem to be working for me....
 
I read article an once and it was quoted as saying " The neck is an area where stability has been sacrificed for mobility ". Injury to the neck can result in numerous lifetime problems, including migraines for the rest of your life. Like everyone else said, let the shrugs, deadlifts, and squats naturally build your neck.
 
Try to let the deadlifts, shrugs and test levels thicken your neck.

I read article an once and it was quoted as saying " The neck is an area where stability has been sacrificed for mobility ". Injury to the neck can result in numerous lifetime problems, including migraines for the rest of your life. Like everyone else said, let the shrugs, deadlifts, and squats naturally build your neck.

I totally agree with this! Show me a man with a skinny neck that deadlifts and shrugs heavy. He doesn't exist! :)
 
^^^ Yup! I'm 5'8" 215. Deadlift 535x1, 455x11 and I've got an 18" neck. I've never directly worked it a day in my life.
 
Hi, I'm new but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. :) Another idea is to take a wrestling class if possible. One of the best workouts you'll ever do and the constant stress on your neck from your opponent will strengthen your neck.
 
Wrestlers do bridge for neck at least when I was in h.s. but that was a very long time ago. Word of caution with neck machines. Most are the one where you have two pads spaced a few inches apart where you place your face or back of your head . Some people will also sit in sideways and use the side of the head to hit it from that angle on each side. With that I'd go very very light or just work from front and back. That side move is a way to really fuck yourself up.Very stressful on bone and nerve rather than muscle.
Thanks, T
 
Ive been having issues with this as well. The leaner i get the smaller my neck gets which causes problems when i have to weigh in (military).

Shrugs and deads dont seem to be helping much, but then again im sure being natty doesnt make it any easier. Haha
 
This is the main part of the body and i think we want to stretch and this is much better for your body muscles and bones also.
 
Ive been having issues with this as well. The leaner i get the smaller my neck gets which causes problems when i have to weigh in (military).

Shrugs and deads dont seem to be helping much, but then again im sure being natty doesnt make it any easier. Haha

My good friend and chiro is a former football player and let me tell you, head retraction against a swiss ball will do wonders for your neck's foundation and stability.