©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Nobel Prize winner disagrees with science in Wells Report | ProFootballTalk

Sandpig

AnaSCI VET
Mar 22, 2014
SIN CITY
Nobel Prize winner disagrees with science in Wells Report | ProFootballTalk

The Ted Wells Report, which the NFL relied on in suspending Tom Brady and stripping draft picks from the Patriots for Deflategate, came to a scientific conclusion that “no set of credible environmental or physical factors” could have resulted in the Patriots’ footballs becoming underinflated. Now the Patriots have found a Nobel Prize-winning scientist to take issue with that.

On WellsReportContext.com, the Patriots have published a rebuttal from Roderick MacKinnon, who won the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 2003. MacKinnon writes that he disagrees with the Wells Report’s conclusion. In particular, MacKinnon criticizes the Wells Report for its failure to determine which of two gauges were used to measure the PSI levels of the Patriots’ footballs, which in MacKinnon’s view is a fatal flaw.

“I believe the data available on ball pressures can be explained on the basis of physical law, without manipulation,” MacKinnon writes. “The scientific analysis in the Wells Report was a good attempt to seek the truth, however, it was based on data that are simply insufficient. In experimental science to reach a meaningful conclusion we make measurements multiple times under well-defined physical conditions. This is how we deal with the error or ‘spread’ of measured values. In the pressure measurements physical conditions were not very well-defined and major uncertainties, such as which gauge was used in pre-game measurements, affect conclusions. Finally, the claim of a statistically significant difference in pressure drop between the two team balls regardless of which gauge was used did not account for the fact that the Colts balls were apparently measured at the end of halftime since the officials ran out of time and made only four measurements – in other words, the Colts balls were measured after the Patriots balls and had warmed up more. For the above reasons, the Wells Report conclusion that physical law cannot explain the pressures is incorrect.”

The Patriots say MacKinnon has “no business or personal relationship” with the team and merely offered his own analysis as an interested party who’s knowledgeable about the topic.

The reality is that virtually no one in the NFL (or for that matter the general public) is qualified to assess the scientific validity of the Wells Report’s findings. But it looks bad for the league that the Patriots have been able to find a Nobel Prize winner who says the Wells Report’s science is wrong.

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Wow, Patriot fans...The only fans on the planet that just cannot accept when their team gets caught:rolleyes::naughty1:

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Huge difference between a Nobel Peace Prize and a Nobel for science. The Nobel Peace Prize is the Nobel Prize's retarded little brother.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
He only cares because his business is being funded by Robert Kraft. That doesn't make his scientific achievements less meaningful. It just makes his analysis on this topic suspect, at best.

The main onus is on the Patriots, who were very keen to state that he had no financial ties to the club. Only to find out that was just another in a long series of bullshit statements from their organization.

Sandpig

AnaSCI VET
Mar 22, 2014
SIN CITY
Wow, Patriot fans...The only fans on the planet that just cannot accept when their team gets caught:rolleyes::naughty1:

Funny, still no one addresses the fact that three of the four Colts balls tested were below the legal limit too.

Hey It don't matter if I'm a Pats fan. If there's definite proof that they deliberately cheated then they deserve what they got.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Yes I'm a Pats fan too, but while I suspect the Pats tampered with the balls why are the fans of every other team standing there like they have halos over there heads? I mean talking about living in a glass house...so, you don't think your team tries to cheat or does not break the rules? Just google your teams name + 2014 fines. Compare that to the penalties of the Pats...the Colts led the league last year:Colts dispute report that team had $4M in fines

Anyway, it reminds me of people who enter natty bbing comps and point fingers when someone tests out and they are doing the same darn thing.

Hawk