©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Outer tricep exercises

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Hey guys, I'm looking to focus more on my outer triceps. What exercises do y'all use to focus on them. Inner tris are great, but i want more definition in the outer head. I think its called the lateral head. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Last edited:

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I like rope press downs and narrow grip push-ups. I know several people like reverse grip skull crushers and single arm reverse grip press (rather pull) downs with a d handle. In addition to that I do heavy narrow grip bench and dips for overall thickness

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
All variations of cable pressdowns seem to work best for me for side triceps...st bar, reverse grip st bar, vbar, and rope pressdowns. Never tried reverse grip skullcruchers magnus, i'll have to hit those up next tricep day!

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks guys. Maybe the reverse handed skullcrushers are what I need to incorporate. I do the other exercises regularly but just can't seem to get at the outer tris.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Thanks guys. Maybe the reverse handed skullcrushers are what I need to incorporate. I do the other exercises regularly but just can't seem to get at the outer tris.

Really focus, especially on reverse grip skull crushers. Never break tension and really try to stay engaged or resist the negative. I find an ez curl bar works better for me as my wrists don't like being supinated that much. Also this is definitely not an ego lift.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
decline elbows out tricep presses with ez curl bar. Requires a training partner.
works!...

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
Elbows out dumbbell extensions.
I like those. Very good to help with bench as well. Those tend to thicken the lower part of the triceps.
Specifically, I really like overhand grip cable pushdowns, pushing angled away from the forehead. Bend forward, move away from the weight stack and think of it as a skull crusher with a cable where the finish would be above/slightly behind your head to keep tension on the triceps.

Last edited: