©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Unassisted Pullups

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I've done assisted pullups for over 5 years on and off during back training days. A few weeks ago, I decided to try unassisted, hanging pullups. I tell you what...my middle back muscles get a very good workout from them. Much better than assisted pullups provide. Yesterday, I did 3 sets of 5 (all I can do) and am surely feeling it today. I know 3x5 doesn't sound like much, but when your over 240lbs..it is a lot of weight to be hoisting up and down. Just passing this along for you guys that have trouble getting at those mid back muscles.

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
Yeah, I need to start doing those more often now that you mention it bro. They hit biceps really well too so they're like a double benefit exercise, for me anyhow

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Shit try being 270 and doing them. When I use to climb ropes all day at this same weight I got up to 19 at a time but more recently I'd be lucky to get 3-5 and I'm almost ashamed to do them with all these 150 guys being able to do 15-20 but my back is 2-3 times as wide as them. Just goes to show you how much just a little bit extra spaced out throughout your day can build that strength but this just made me incorporate them back in the next back workout

Last edited:

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Yeah, the little guys are good at em. That's why it took me so long to try em. I felt shamed and I'm 100 lbs heavier and twice as big. Lol

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I'm just now able to even do a real pull-up, for the first time in my life. I can manage 3 or 4, depending on how I feel that day. If I could do 3 sets of 5 I'd be ecstatic.

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
I'm just now able to even do a real pull-up, for the first time in my life. I can manage 3 or 4, depending on how I feel that day. If I could do 3 sets of 5 I'd be ecstatic.

You'll get there brother. Make it your goal by the end of this year, or your new years resolution :sHa_thumbsup3: