©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What's the haps with the traps?!

Usobobby

Jun 30, 2013
Cali
For my esteemed co-horts with the camel humps for traps, can you share a bit of your success brothers. Excercises and angles?

Wide shoulders with no peaks, is not a good look...

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
Mine really go to he next level when I do heavy deads. Which I can't always do, due to a back injury. And the upright rows as well.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Deads and rack deads! The absolute best IMO and pull those shoulders back at the top.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Dumbbell shrugs, but not typical standing shrugs. Lean forward slightly, and use your off arm to brace yourself against a bench or rack or something that's at about lower chest level. You want to be about 30 degrees down from vertical. Do single arm shrugs with medium weight. Many guys use too much weight for shrugs and it limits their range of motion. Focus on feeling the contraction at the top of your trap, toward the back of your neck. Hold the contraction for 3-5 seconds at the top, and go slow on the negative. Keep your arm straight and don't bend at the elbow. Remember that this is a shrug, not a row.

Traditional shrugs don't work the rear most part of the trap as well, and they limit the thickness of the trap that ultimately helps to make the muscle stand out and look larger.

winston1156

Apr 20, 2015
If I judge by how much pain I feel afterward in the traps, hands down sumo grip deads. If you do that real narrow grip it seems to force the traps to grow. I'm don't have huge traps myself but from my experience, if I went nuts with sumo, I would have giant traps.

Phoenixk2

AnaSCI VET
Dec 2, 2013
Cleans, but honestly a lot of it is genetics. My buddy had to stop doing any direct trap exercises cause they were getting to big.