©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

why is tv and cable so expesive

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
Why is it so much money for cable TV
$100 to $300 a month for some
Is there any cheeper way at all yet or alternatives
Phones are out of this world also
there must be some thing by now?
We used to be able to buy boxes and get all the channels
The cable company's went to Congress and made it so we have no other way of getting tv shows
I know Google Fiber is coming but it is coming slow as all hell and probably won't go to all areas
They say you can watch every channel and dvr for $120 or month
And other companies would be $500

Last edited:

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
First, I think it's because they can...they are big, inefficient and greedy. But, I just started researching sling.com, it's an internet tv provider. They say, $20 a month. We should compare notes.

Hawk

rangerjockey

Donating Member
Jan 16, 2014
Island life
T-Mobile for phones, you have them where you live? I find you get what you pay for....Damn TV costs I have Direct tv which I like and I pay almost 200..some people use antenna's still for local, then use stuff like amazon as a provider for tv. I got kids netflix, vudu, hulu I got most of all the crap, and I have seen every episode of Spunge Bob 17 times, I want to kill that little square prick and his fat purple friend Patrick. I do like his pet snail which meows like a cat,,,,someone did some acid writing that god for saken show. lastly CHickehHawk & Squat that dam dude with the soap in the sauna still has me f-ed up.....Jesus@! out.

Phoenixk2

AnaSCI VET
Dec 2, 2013
I have an HD antenna, and 4 roku players. Between Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, I pretty much can watch anything.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I have an HD antenna, and 4 roku players. Between Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, I pretty much can watch anything.

We do the same thing in my house, except we still pay for cable. If I could find a way to get ESPN for free I'd cancel my cable service and just keep my internet service. I just can't survive without my SportsCenter in the morning. It's also nice having cable during football season. I really wish you could buy NFL games like pay per view. Or subscribe to just one teams whole season.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I also switched to T Mobile a few months ago. I'm semi-happy with it. Coverage is limited, and it drops out before you really get to the edge of town in a lot of places. At my house I lose signal inside, but with wifi at the house it's a non issue. And it's not quite as cheap as they make it out to be. $80 a month for unlimited everything, plus the cost of the phone financed in, plus the cost of the insurance, puts me at $115 a month. Still $30 less than I was paying Verizon, but not quite the savings I was anticipating.

Like ranger said, you get what you pay for sometimes.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
T-Mobile absolutely sucks in my line of work because I'm always on the road. I'd do T-Mobile if the coverage was better.

formula1069

Donating Member
Oct 29, 2012
A big part of it I think is the huge over paid athletes
The TV contracts are in the 100's of billions
Stop paying a quarterback $25 mil to play 16-18 games a year for a total working hours of about 10 hours per year
Basketball, Baseball, etc, same thing

Yeah they study film and work out who cares I work out and watch TV also
They are all over paid

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I actually dropped my DirectTV over a year ago. Now, we just have a digital over the air antenna and use Red Box to rent movies. I refuse to pay 100+ bucks a month to watch TV. My wife is a nursing student, and needs to have her nose in her books, not in a TV.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I actually dropped my DirectTV over a year ago. Now, we just have a digital over the air antenna and use Red Box to rent movies. I refuse to pay 100+ bucks a month to watch TV. My wife is a nursing student, and needs to have her nose in her books, not in a TV.

I bought an hd antenna and was only able to pull in 17 PBS stations so I gave up on the idea.

Hawk

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
I'm with you Magnus... I barely watch TV anymore. People will talk about new shows and I have no idea what they are talking about.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I haven't watched TV in over 5 years. A movie about once a month but that's about it

I'm with you Magnus... I barely watch TV anymore. People will talk about new shows and I have no idea what they are talking about.

Likely the better way to live, but I love tv and books. I enjoy escaping life with a good story and how would I live without rasslin and the NFL lol ?

Hawk

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Now Internet? I'd die without the Internet. I always feel dumb when the guys get together and talk football. I haven't seen a whole game since the last one I played in in college, and that was 23 years ago. Who's going to win the superbowl? Hell if I know!