©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Gotta love the legs

big o

X-POWERLIFTER
Mar 20, 2005
Hey these guys are raw....now your talking guys in the 181's are benching 600....and the heavy's are 800 in the squat high 600 low 700 on the bench and deads are close to the same....your talking minimum totals at 2200.....that's serious shit....my best toal in the 242's was 1865..that total now is a fucking joke...

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
big o said:
Wolfy..your dead on brother....another exercise i like is the hack with my legs really close together so my quads burn....I do reps of 12 -15 and really feel them the next day...I use that for my finishing excercise...I have to be honest with you I get nothing from leg presses....I feel it's the lazy way out....The squat is by far the best of all exercises....but if you have an injury your training around then it's still better than doing no squating....Smith is too restrictive for me....

For me, it's not being lazy bro, I was told by my Chiropractor to stay away from traditional squats due to my lower spine being under developed (genetic..my father was the same way). I'm not looking to be a powerlifter here, and believe you can build strength in the legs using other methods.

big o

X-POWERLIFTER
Mar 20, 2005
Freejay...I'm not bashing you here so please don't take it that way....I have 2 degenerative discs back in 96 I had 7 lower lumbar epiderals....That's were they stick the needle right into the disc and surrounding area's not fun..at all...So anyone who has an excuse my back,my back is basically using that as an excuse for not grinding out the tough ones....All right I was a competetive power lifter for 11 years...I was a really sick fucker with an immense tolerance for pain...There was always something hurting...but you train through the pain..that's how you make those little gains that always eem to elude those who don't really want to push their bodies to get to the next level....If you want to play with the big dog's you have to get off the porch....
Freejay were cool bro....

steve0085

May 4, 2005
FlorEeDuh
Freejay said:
For me, it's not being lazy bro, I was told by my Chiropractor to stay away from traditional squats due to my lower spine being under developed (genetic..my father was the same way). I'm not looking to be a powerlifter here, and believe you can build strength in the legs using other methods.
Chiropractors are quacks. Keep in mind that just because they call themselves doctors, doens't mean they are. I'm not knockin you here Freejay, I just hate them so much. I had one tell me that I was prone to sinus infections because my neck was out of adjustment. A friend on mine was told by one that sqauts are bad for circulation, I think they just make this stuff on their way to work in the morning. Oh by the way, I'm gonna need you to come in 3 times a week for the next 6 months. Sorry for the rant. Back to your squatting debate

big o

X-POWERLIFTER
Mar 20, 2005
Yea I had a quack tell me that healing with jesus christ is the only way....

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
big o said:
Yea I had a quack tell me that healing with jesus christ is the only way....

Now that is a quack! I don't have any pain in my lower back. I just didn't do the squats because I didn't want to develop the same condition that my father had (7 back surgeries, 2 steel rods, etc.) And Chiropractors are not quacks bro, I swear by mine, and have referred many friends. Think of it this way...Chemical cause, chemical cure...Mechanical cause, mechanical cure. You cant fix missaligned bones with a pill! I will start the squats this week.

Severe

Lil' Souljah
May 31, 2005
I used to hate legs. Now that i've been working them, I look forward to it. In all honesty I have gained 6 pounds this week, (SO FAR) without the use of steroids. Before, I never worked my legs or gained weight because of it, but since i've started I cant stop working them. Today I was squatting 300 but i'll be able to do more next week, since last week I could do little over half of that. I know it seems unreal but legs are helping me in ways I never could have imagined possible.

I have also noticed a stronger back. My back used to be weak but squatting and deadlifting is helping a lot. You wont hurt it unless you squat too much weight or squat with the wrong form.

Last edited:

steve0085

May 4, 2005
FlorEeDuh
Freejay said:
Now that is a quack! I don't have any pain in my lower back. I just didn't do the squats because I didn't want to develop the same condition that my father had (7 back surgeries, 2 steel rods, etc.) And Chiropractors are not quacks bro, I swear by mine, and have referred many friends. Think of it this way...Chemical cause, chemical cure...Mechanical cause, mechanical cure. You cant fix missaligned bones with a pill! I will start the squats this week.
I agree that they have their place, I go to them sometimes. I say they're quacks because they try to offer medical advice and they call themselves doctors when they have no medical degree. But I do agree that they can help at what they're supposed to do, just pissed off that they try to do more.

big o

X-POWERLIFTER
Mar 20, 2005
Hey all you have to do is 3-5 sets of 10 for as much and as low as you can possibly go...The back will develop it's muscle and keep the misalingment in line with good solid muscle...The harder and more developed the muscle the better chance for the muscle to keep everything in the correct position..IMO

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
wolfyEVH said:
actually yes.....you'd be surprised to know how many pro bodybuilders are gay or bi.......smith machine serves its purposes however.......it makes a great coat rack!!!

in all seriousness.......squats on a smithmachine don't compare to regular squats in a squat rack.....of course you do less weight, but when working out, leave your ego at home

It will be funny to see how Wolfy's posts change when he actually grows up (he's only 22..just a baby.) Barely old enough to use gear! J/K Wolfy..U know I love you man!

Zaven

May 18, 2005
pincrusher said:
for everyone who says you cant get big legs with the smith machine, please explain my 28"+ legs that have been trained using only the smith machine for squats. :) i think people underestimate the ability of the smith machine cause they feel it assists to much but if you use it correctly it can be just as good as free squats.
its much easier to do front squats with a heavy load on the smith machine than you will ever be able to do in a power rack.
:) .......I only use the smith.........

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
True when you squat with a barbell it's nothing but weight...but it's still the same movement with the smith machine than it is free weighted. Your still having to use just as much muscle as the latter

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
oracle said:
True when you squat with a barbell it's nothing but weight...but it's still the same movement with the smith machine than it is free weighted. Your still having to use just as much muscle as the latter

Yes, but I guess what everyone means is that the Smith keeps both ends of the bar level at all times, so you don't really use some of the stabillizer muscles.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Freejay said:
Yes, but I guess what everyone means is that the Smith keeps both ends of the bar level at all times, so you don't really use some of the stabillizer muscles.

It still doesn't make it less effective.

W

wolfyEVH

oracle said:
It still doesn't make it less effective.

sure it does......unless you're soley isolating the quads........you may as well just stick with leg press........i believe you will recruit more muscle fibers.....

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
wolfyEVH said:
sure it does......unless you're soley isolating the quads........you may as well just stick with leg press........i believe you will recruit more muscle fibers.....

I do both and i just started working legs but yet mine are coming along pretty good.