©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Dealing with injuries, setbacks and life in general.

BigBob

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 10, 2012
My "injury" is something that Ive had since i was 12 osgoodslaughters "prob misspelled. What it amounts to is a big calcium deposit under my kneecap that hurts like hell when i bump it on something, when the weather changes, or when im under heavy weight. Sucks ive been offered surgery to correct it but ive never been in a position that i couldnt work for the amount it would take to rehab. So like with alot of things you gut thru it and get the job done regardless.
Dude that's got to suck. :(

srd1

Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
What sucks is when your bench is at 450 and your squat is only 500... muscle powers there but the knees cant handle it makes me feel like a pussy when it comes to legs cause my legs arent small or undertrained by any means just got some pussy knees lol

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
It looks like the injury part of the thread has a decent start so, I will pick up on life in general as it relates to training. I have been fortunate to compete in 2 weight sports; bbing and pling and while I was incredibly average at both I have met many people and heard many things. That being said, I want to share a secret to success in the Iron Jungle as I see it.

The secret is really two fold, first is to "know thyself". I can't count how many youngsters believe they have the ambition and dedication to be the next Jay or Ronnie. Maybe and just maybe one or two people who read this thread or participate on this board will ever get an IFBB pro card and there are a shit ton of members. So, what's my point realize who you are and what your true potential is. Instead, enjoy the journey and have small achievable goals that are realistic and according to your potential. I am not trying to shoot down your dreams rather have dreams that have you in them. Hey, I would like to throw a seventy yard spiral and date a super model who sells lingerie, but just cuz I want it does not mean I have the talent or body to do it. So, accept your potential and be real.

The second and true point (based or the reality of point one) is to put training in it's proper place. Do not make it priority number one in your life unless you have the potential to achieve success in the sport. In other words make a living and even then do not put it ahead of your relationships. I have seen many 180 lb guys immerse themselves in the gym life at the expense of their families and friends. It's fine to eat six meals a day from tuperware, but don't miss your niece's birthday cuz you can't miss the gym. If your boss needs you to work late on occasion then do it. If the guys invite to have a beer, say yes for a change and just keep to light beer. Because by the time you realize that most of your potential is behind you, you will be grateful for the important things like a good wife, job and friends. Heck, I think I enjoy my friends at the gym more then training most times.

In conclusion, just keep it real and while being big and strong may be part of your life, don't make it the center.

Hawk

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
It looks like the injury part of the thread has a decent start so, I will pick up on life in general as it relates to training. I have been fortunate to compete in 2 weight sports; bbing and pling and while I was incredibly average at both I have met many people and heard many things. That being said, I want to share a secret to success in the Iron Jungle as I see it.

The secret is really two fold, first is to "know thyself". I can't count how many youngsters believe they have the ambition and dedication to be the next Jay or Ronnie. Maybe and just maybe one or two people who read this thread or participate on this board will ever get an IFBB pro card and there are a shit ton of members. So, what's my point realize who you are and what your true potential is. Instead, enjoy the journey and have small achievable goals that are realistic and according to your potential. I am not trying to shoot down your dreams rather have dreams that have you in them. Hey, I would like to throw a seventy yard spiral and date a super model who sells lingerie, but just cuz I want it does not mean I have the talent or body to do it. So, accept your potential and be real.

The second and true point (based or the reality of point one) is to put training in it's proper place. Do not make it priority number one in your life unless you have the potential to achieve success in the sport. In other words make a living and even then do not put it ahead of your relationships. I have seen many 180 lb guys immerse themselves in the gym life at the expense of their families and friends. It's fine to eat six meals a day from tuperware, but don't miss your niece's birthday cuz you can't miss the gym. If your boss needs you to work late on occasion then do it. If the guys invite to have a beer, say yes for a change and just keep to light beer. Because by the time you realize that most of your potential is behind you, you will be grateful for the important things like a good wife, job and friends. Heck, I think I enjoy my friends at the gym more then training most times.

In conclusion, just keep it real and while being big and strong may be part of your life, don't make it the center.

Hawk
That's a great read brother. Thanks for sharing, I'll add some in the coming days. For now spending some quality time with my new daughter:D

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Great post! After dealing with stage 4 bladder cancer this year, it makes you realize that everything you have said here is so true. Keep things in perspective and enjoy all aspects your life. I have never heard of anyone on their deathbed say, "I wish I had made more money", "I wish I had squated more", or "I wish I had bought a faster car". Not one time. Sometimes we are blind to the things that truly matter.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Great post! After dealing with stage 4 bladder cancer this year, it makes you realize that everything you have said here is so true. Keep things in perspective and enjoy all aspects your life. I have never heard of anyone on their deathbed say, "I wish I had made more money", "I wish I had squated more", or "I wish I had bought a faster car". Not one time. Sometimes we are blind to the things that truly matter.

Exactly! Training is part of who we are, but not all of who we are.

Hawk

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Gotta test coming up in a few days to check my bladder for any new cancer. I am trying not to stress too much and stay busy. The gym is my therapy. Physical AND mental.

srd1

Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
Gotta test coming up in a few days to check my bladder for any new cancer. I am trying not to stress too much and stay busy. The gym is my therapy. Physical AND mental.

Best of luck brother ill be praying for you. Your gonna come back cancer free no doubt in my mind you kicked its ass it dont want no more of the brick!

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Injuries at first suck. But when they happen working around them make you or break you. I've trained with guys with busted hips and backs who still lifted, light but showed up to help coach or load and spot. I ALWAYS ALWAYS tell the young guys, if you're not competing then take time off, or nurse it. Fighting for national ranking comes at a price. and IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE! Last year I was 3rd in the nation across all feds for my weight in the open division. I went through hell and now staying there is easy cause I adapted to it, but still pushing.

I've torn my pec. Magnus helped with my recovery ;). I changed my training to help growth. Heavy sets used boards, and worked in a "slingshot" so help cover it. I t made me stronger. Hammered my lock out power and speed work. Got awesome carry over to prep cycles.

Broke my back molar in half squatting 705 raw in wraps at a meet. Just had that fucker pulled out.

Tore my serratus...that hurt.

calluses calluses calluses. Tore one at worlds from my palm down to the middle of my middle finger. Shot a numbing agent in it, stuffed it with chalk and kept going. Now i make it point to really file them down and keep hands in vasoline at night.

Fractured my left ankle walking out 885 on the squat. I t healed just acts up when cold.

Dropped a squat bar down my back and bruised my tail bone a few years ago. Never did that again.

Bit my tongue and needed stiches at a meet. This like my tooth is fixed by wearing my mouth guard. I kept spitting blood up at this meet and kept swallowing my own blood till i got sick to the point i vomited deadlifting.

Blacked out benching 665 in a single ply shirt and dropped it on my belly. The rib on my left side got bruised bad and took a few weeks off going heavy. healed but always freaks me out when I go heavy heavy.
Separated my left shoulder 3 times. 1 time from high school wreslting, then another time doing judo, then the last time ripping 705 off the floor for multiple sets of singles...that was stupid and over kill, coach still brings that up.

Multiple times I broke blood vessels in my nose and eye. Optometrist told me to be careful about retina detachment.

And the occasional tweaked muscle and tendinitis in my biceps. This is fixed by better recovery techniques..ice showers/hot showers, more food, more water, better warm ups, not horse playing around, listening to my body, picking better numbers, stretching, foam rolling, tennis balls work, NSAIDS, and just not having my head up my ass.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Injuries at first suck. But when they happen working around them make you or break you. I've trained with guys with busted hips and backs who still lifted, light but showed up to help coach or load and spot. I ALWAYS ALWAYS tell the young guys, if you're not competing then take time off, or nurse it. Fighting for national ranking comes at a price. and IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE! Last year I was 3rd in the nation across all feds for my weight in the open division. I went through hell and now staying there is easy cause I adapted to it, but still pushing.

I've torn my pec. Magnus helped with my recovery ;). I changed my training to help growth. Heavy sets used boards, and worked in a "slingshot" so help cover it. I t made me stronger. Hammered my lock out power and speed work. Got awesome carry over to prep cycles.

Broke my back molar in half squatting 705 raw in wraps at a meet. Just had that fucker pulled out.

Tore my serratus...that hurt.

calluses calluses calluses. Tore one at worlds from my palm down to the middle of my middle finger. Shot a numbing agent in it, stuffed it with chalk and kept going. Now i make it point to really file them down and keep hands in vasoline at night.

Fractured my left ankle walking out 885 on the squat. I t healed just acts up when cold.

Dropped a squat bar down my back and bruised my tail bone a few years ago. Never did that again.

Bit my tongue and needed stiches at a meet. This like my tooth is fixed by wearing my mouth guard. I kept spitting blood up at this meet and kept swallowing my own blood till i got sick to the point i vomited deadlifting.

Blacked out benching 665 in a single ply shirt and dropped it on my belly. The rib on my left side got bruised bad and took a few weeks off going heavy. healed but always freaks me out when I go heavy heavy.
Separated my left shoulder 3 times. 1 time from high school wreslting, then another time doing judo, then the last time ripping 705 off the floor for multiple sets of singles...that was stupid and over kill, coach still brings that up.

Multiple times I broke blood vessels in my nose and eye. Optometrist told me to be careful about retina detachment.

And the occasional tweaked muscle and tendinitis in my biceps. This is fixed by better recovery techniques..ice showers/hot showers, more food, more water, better warm ups, not horse playing around, listening to my body, picking better numbers, stretching, foam rolling, tennis balls work, NSAIDS, and just not having my head up my ass.
Holy fuck. Now my little shoulder injury/hernia I have seems minuet in comparison lol

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
Damn psych, thats one serious list of injuries! I cant even imagine going through all of those

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Bladder inspection was good, no cancer found. One more test in two weeks. Fuck cancer.